- 87 years old
History of present illness
- Alzheimer's disease initially diagnosed/first symptoms ~1 year prior to clinical screening
- Bilateral cataract removal
- Hand tremors
- Risedronate sodium for osteoporosis
- Multivitamin, fish oil, and vitamin E
- Low-dose aspirin for cardiac prophylaxis
- Baseline Alzheimer’s Disease Assessment Scale–Cognitive subscale (ADAS–Cog) of 31
- Baseline Mini-Mental State Exam (MMSE) of 22
- Axona 40 g QD added to existing treatment
||ADAS–Coga||Change in ADAS–Coga||MMSEb|
(after 14 days of no treatment)
|aLower scores indicate improvement.
bHigher scores indicate improvement.
- Improved ADAS–Cog score at day 45, and score continued to improve through day 90
*Based on a real patient. Name has been changed.